Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Nervous Excitement

With the move just over a week away, reality has set in, and so has the nervous excitement.  I've done a lot of crazy shit in my life, and with each one has come a great feeling of nervous excitement.  I felt it as I left on my 3200 mile bicycle trip across the US, I felt it as I was dropped off on the side of a lake in the middle of Alaska, I felt it when I strapped on a bunch of armor and charged at huge men while holding my lance, and I also felt it when I was jousting.
To me, great adventures come when I step outside of my comfort zone, and I am definitely stepping outside of it with this move.  I have the most amazing family, friends, and clients here, and to leave for the middle of nowhere, where I know all of two people, makes me nervous, but that's what alcohol and xanax are for.
My mom has also begun to feel this nervous excitement, minus the excitement part.  She has met David, and thinks highly of him, but she is well aware of the bat shit crazy stuff we do when we are around each other.  She told me yesterday that she had cut out an article from the newspaper and really thought I should read it prior to the move.

It was about how dangerous it is to fire guns off in the air.  I told her I would only be firing a gun in the air if I was duck hunting or celebrating something really good, like finishing a twelve pack of beer.  I also told her I would wear a helmet when doing so.  I think that put her at ease.  Bless her heart.

I met David when we were filming Full Metal Jousting.  When we first went into the house I was the first person from our team to enter.  I had seen many reality shows that involved shared housing, and was well aware that there would be a few shitty rooms and one nice one.  I moved quickly through the house.  The first room was four beds and a shared bathroom.  The next was a tiny room with two beds and a shared bathroom.  The last room was amazing.  Two beds, a private bathroom, walk-in closet, and a huge window overlooking the lake.  I started walking towards the bed to put my bag down.  Right then David came in and threw his bag down on one of the beds.  Oh hell no.  I am not sharing a room with some crazy tattoo covered marine cage fighter from some small podunk town.  I quickly exited the room.  Now here I am a year later moving to a podunk town with this same individual.  My nervous/excitement ratio just went from 50/50 to 80/20.

No comments:

Post a Comment