Sunday, August 26, 2012

And We're Off!

After a bit of a late start, David, Milton, and myself finally began our journey east.  The car was packed with mostly Dave's clothes because he dresses like a diva. I think he may have changed his outfit 5 or 6 times before we left. The weather was great, the sun was shining, and all was well. We had spent the prior evening burning cd's because apparently it's still the 90's.  Our taste for music is somewhat similar, which helps... we both like sad songs that make you cry.  One disc is called sad songs, another, songs to cry to, and a third is a compilation of songs that are ideal to whistle to.  

After 20 minutes on the road, the flat tire light came on, so naturally, I turned the music up.  Problem solved.  Things continued going smoothly until we hit our first storm.  I was focusing on not dying, while David focused on filming lightning bolts.  Shortly after making it through the storm, David wanted to show me some new dance moves.  I turned to look at him, and a moment later he yelled "look out!"  I looked back at the road to see a large deer carcass coming directly for me.  I ran the shit over it.  

We finally reached Flagstaff and met up with my friends Sarah and Marcie.  We had dinner in town and then drove to our campsite.  The gas light came on about halfway up the mountain.  We were following my friend's car when mother nature came a calling.  I had to pee like a race horse.  I tried to call Sarah on her cell, but there was no service.  I looked for a bottle or a cup... nothing.  For future reference, I'd strongly suggest not peeing out of a vehicle moving at high speeds.  I stood up in my seat (I wasn't driving.  I'm not that stupid) and really just let loose.  I got about halfway through before oncoming traffic approached.  I had to pinch it off mid-pee, and in the chaos of it all managed to thoroughly wash the right side of my vehicle as well as our luggage in the back seat.  It turns out Milton isn't into golden showers.  

We made camp, and Dave began work on the campfire.  Since it had just rained like a mother father, this task was quite challenging to say the least.  I collected a few sticks, but got bored and focused my energy on beer drinking, while Dave patiently got the fire blazing.  Later we both made our first attempt at slacklining.  For those of you who aren't aware of what slacklining is, it's basically tight rope walking.  With my skills as a dancer/gymnist, you would have thought I grew up doing this.  Dave, on the other hand was a sight to see.  Watching David attempt this was like watching a car wreck... or Kirstie Alley on Dancing With The Stars.  

We're off for the Grand Canyon today.  Also, after 24 hours on the road, we are already dirty as hell, so we have decided to do an instructional video on how to shower when you don't have access to a shower.  You're welcome in advance!




No comments:

Post a Comment